Saturday, February 13, 2010

Let The Games Begin!

The Winter 2010 GeneaBloggers Games have begun. This will be my first time entering the Games and I hope to achieve at least a couple of Bronze medals if not Silver. Maybe I can be the first Canadian to win Gold in Canada (or maybe I can leave that to the Hockey Team!).

The Flag that I will be carrying represents my heritage. The Canadian Flag is because I am Canadian – born and raised. Most of my ancestors hail from Scotland (with a few trickling over to England) and Northern Ireland so I have chosen the Flag of the United Kingdom to represent them. I also chose the Flag of Ireland because, although my paternal grandfather’s family is from N. Ireland, it is my wish to one day visit the whole of Ireland.

The Categories that I will be entering are:

· Go Back and Cite Your Sources!

I’ve never been very good at citing sources (not that I don’t have them). When I transferred everything over from FTM 2008 to Legacy, the few sources I had entered were completely messed up. I have since purchased Evidence Explained, and with the help of this book, I am now prepared to enter all my sources – properly.

· Back Up Your Data!

With the experience I had a few years ago, both at home and at work, you would think that backing up my data would be something that I would do on a regular basis. Unfortunately, it’s not! By entering this category, I hope to make backing up my data a regular thing.

· Organize Your Research!

For the most part my hard copies are filed in a semi-organized way in file folders and I can usually find what I’m looking for; however, I do need to improve on this. My digital files are another matter altogether. I have a lot of work to do on those.

· Expand Your Knowledge!

Since I like to play with things, I should be able to complete at least two of the tasks: using Google Maps to map out an ancestral location and Wordle to create a surname visualization.

· Write, Write, Write!

I’m not a writer – never have been! I hope that by entering this category I can improve on this.

So, wish me luck and Let The Games Begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment