Sunday, January 23, 2011

New Year – New Plans

I have been out of the blogging scene for a few months due to other priorities. Although I haven’t been blogging, I did still manage to get some research done – just not as much as I had hoped. I hope to change this in the coming year.

I’m not one to make New Year’s resolutions as I never seem to keep them. What I want to do this year is set myself some goals.

1) Last year I wanted to complete the Saskatchewan Pioneer Certificate. It is a Certificate of Recognition that is given to descendants of original and/or early pioneers in the districts and territories that make up present day Saskatchewan. I got as far as printing out the application and filing out a draft to see what I was missing. Turns out I’m still missing quite a bit of information. I plan to continue with this project so that, hopefully, by the end of this year I will be able to send in the application.

2) Work on entering my sources in my database. I had started to do this in Legacy Family Tree but then I switched to Roots Magic. When copying the GEDCOM file, the sources that I had entered didn’t copy properly. Fortunately I hadn’t done that many so it’s not too big of a deal. I’m hoping to get at least 1/2 of my sources entered (I have a lot!)

3) Write mini “Bios” of my ancestors, including relevant documentation. I want to try to write at least one a week.

4) Write a Monthly Progress Report.

5) Post at least twice a week on this blog.

6) Sort and scan my mother’s old pictures, as well as those that belonged to my step-father.

Hopefully this list will be achievable – time will tell. Wish me luck.

7 comments:

  1. I hope you succeed in reaching your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look like reasonable goals - I think I need to do this myself. Being a sidetracked genealogist never lends itself to being organized and my sources need much cleaning up as well. Good luck in reaching your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll have a busy year! But fruitful. As a Legacy user, I'm sorry to hear your sources didn't carry over properly. Makes me a little nervous! Good luck with your excellent goals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good goals, that look like they should frustrate you. Question. Why did you chose to switch to Roots Magic. My Family History Director won't use anything but Legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alana, "I love it when a plan comes together" --- so as a fellow plan maker, heres to a good year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hummer - I liked Legacy and found it was easy to use, but I wasn't happy with some of the reports. I switched to Roots Magic mostly for the type of reports it have, such as the narrative report. I'm still getting used to it but so far I like it. The source templates are set up nice to and conform to Evidence Explained.

    ReplyDelete